AFI 10 top 10

Last week the American Film Institute put out their top 10 list of American movies for Westerns, Animated, Sports, Romantic-Comedies, Sci Fi, Mystery, Gangster, Courtroom, Epic and Fantasy movies.
Here are a few thoughts I had when I looked over the list.

I really think Unforgiven(4) should have been higher. I think it's a better movie than Shane(3) and High Noon(2). I don't think I have a problem with The Searchers(1). It's about so much more than a "Western".

I think I agree with #1 animated movie, Snow White. Beauty and the Beast should at least be # 3 or #4.

Sports, no Rudy no Slap Shot but they have Jerry Maguire and Caddyshack. Really!

I don't think I'm a good judge for Romantic comedies. City Lights is a great movie though. Don't you think Jerry Maguire should be in this category?

As far as Sci Fi (2001 A Space Odyssey was #1 and Star Wars: Episode IV was #2) I think I personally would have switched the first two, but I don't have a problem with the way they are now. Star Wars really wasn't acted well, even though it is a great movie. I am not a huge fan of E.T. On this list I would put it # 9 ahead of Back to the Future, by the way I don't think I would put Back to the Future on the list at all.

Mystery, Gangster and Courtroom I'm good with those.

Epic, Schindlers list ,for me , has to be #1 . It not only is a great "epic" It's probably in my top 3 movies of all time, American or not.

Fantasy: How did Groundhog day get anywhere near a top 10 for anything?

Well there is my opinion. What do you think? Check out all ten lists. http://www.afi.com/10top10/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally would switch 12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mockingbird though I don't have a real problem with the way they stand.

I think that The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring should not be #2 for fantasy. I love the story, but I don't think the movie was as great. And there are so many other fantastic fantasy stories... And Harvey should have ranked higher.

I liked the Romantic Comedy list, though I'd rank Roman Holiday and The Philadelphia Story above It Happened One Night, but that's probably more because I like the actors in the first two movies better than the ones in the last. And the only reason that I'm not yelling about the fact that the list lacks An Affair to Remember is because it's labeled as Romantic Comedies and not Romantic Films.

And the animated movies I think make sense, but I wish there was a longer list because they're missing ones like Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid.

There was a movie that I missed on the lists, but I don't know what category it'd fit into - The Sting. I think that it should've made at least one of those top 10 lists. Thanks for sharing the lists - somehow I missed them - and I love lists of things, especially movies....