Valentine's Day


As our life continues to be a big question mark, God continues to provide and amaze me! Valentine’s Day is normally spent with Robert and I going out to a favorite restaurant, which usually means “pricey,” and exchange of gifts, flowers, etc. Robert was asked to perform magic at a “Sweetheart Banquet” at church in exchange for a “free” dinner at the banquet. He did a small presentation, and was wonderful (as he always is). We sat with some old friends and had a really nice evening.

That being said, we have turned out to be a Nascar Family (who knew?) While Robert has watched and liked Jeff Gordon for many, many years, it has only been the past 4 years or so that I started watching with him. Soon, he was no longer going to the race here in Fontana, CA with his friend (sorry Jason) but with me. The first time you stand there and hear the presenter say “gentlemen start your engines” and the thunderous boom of cars starting the loudest engines I have ever heard, well it is quite a rush! But then, they do a few laps around the track and when they actually get up to speed and start, the sound and feeling is incredible! Let’s just say, watching on TV was OK, but in person is the way to go. I of course had to choose a driver that I liked, so after walking around my first time, I chose Jimmie Johnson. He happened to win the championship that year, and every year since then! (Three in a row) We took our kids once, and we are now a family divided, KC and Robert – Jeff Gordon, Shelby and I – Jimmie Johnson, and Wayne chose Dale Earnhardt Jr. At least we are all part of the Hendrick family, they all drive for the same team.
We have gone to several races, had amazing seats, I actually won a contest where we sat on top of a large motor home in the infield at the beginning of Pit Row and enjoyed Pit Passes, kicking Jeff Gordon’s tires, and signing our names on the start finish line. So, as Valentine’s Day approached, I struggled with trying to find something small yet meaningful to give to Robert. I thought perhaps a new Jeff Gordon shirt, since he was really missing going to the race (as I was). We decided to remain on a tight budget this Valentine’s Day, so as I shopped for a shirt I came across a special deal on tickets to the race. For the price of a new shirt, we could go to the race! We sat in the 3rd row, only able to view the front stretch of track, and the seats were tight and the gas smell was horribly strong and the sound was louder than ever before, because we were so close to the track…yet it was a great day! We packed water and ate before we left (thanks Mike!) We went through the lines of vendors that had free samples of food, walked around and enjoyed the day, just the 2 of us. We had a quick lunch and sat in our cozy seats and saw a pretty exciting race! Jeff wound up in second, Jimmie 9Th. While I have never really enjoyed football or basketball (well when Magic and Kareem played I admit I watched the Lakers and Celtics) I really enjoy Nascar. I mean, they start every race with a prayer to God; does any other sport do that?
We had a wonderful day. We walked, and talked and enjoyed time for just the 2 of us. I love going to the race with him and sharing that part of his life with him. So while Valentine’s day was not the most traditional we have ever had, it was one of the best for me! I love you Robert, Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, I have been a NSACAR fan since Jeff Gordon (my favorite since day one) entered the scene. I've been to the Vegas race a few times and have enjoyed every minute of it. Excellent V-Day gift.

Kelso (at least according to Bobby-san)

Amanda Lane said...

You guys are such a cute couple! Liz, I love how you started getting into Nascar with Robert and now you're a big fan too. I am trying to do the same thing with Aaron, with hockey :) I like when the players fight!