Cowboy


One part of my job is to talk to and listen to some of the homeless people in our neighborhood. Over the years one of my favorites was David "Cowboy" Hervert. He was an amazing man. I remember early on he would come for assistance with his pal Tom. Cowboy always had a smile for you. He didn't have teeth, but he had a smile.
He lost both of his legs to an infection. He was in a "coma" for a few months. The doctors didn't think he would make it but he fooled them. He woke up and said "Where the hell am I?" "Where the hell is Mike?" For those of you that don't know. Mike is the Pastor I work for. Cowboy got out of the hospital and spent time at a convalescent home. He then moved to the El Dorado Motel. He lived on his own for quite a while. While there he copied the Bible to pass the days. You should see it. I think I want to get it published as the "Homeless Bible". Anyway around 6 months ago he want back to St. Edna's rehab center. He's been there feeling lonely and sad. Mike and I went to see him a couple of weeks ago and brought him a vanilla Shake. He loved it. We talked to him for a good 15 minutes then we had to leave. We prayed with him and told him we loved him. He looked at us through tears and said he loved us. I hugged him, he smiled that big toothless smile and we were off.
Well, this morning we found out Cowboy passed away yesterday. Today is a sad day for me. For Cowboy, things are better. He is with Jesus. Mike baptized him several years back. He came to church every Saturday until he was no longer able and he loved the Lord.
So today I celebrate the life of David 'Cowboy" Hervert. Rest in Peace.

Robert

No comments: