I'll miss you Dan.

Each Monday and Thursday we have what we call "Community Assistance." We sit and talk to anyone from the neighborhood around Knott Ave. We get to speak to a lot of homeless people.

There isn't a day that goes by that one of our homeless friends doesn't ask "Where is that one guy?" At first I had to try and figure out who they meant. They said "You know that one guy!" "He used to be here all the time." "He was about this tall." They would raise their hand and hold it right about head high. They would be sitting down. I would say, "do you mean Dan?" I knew who they meant. I told them he had cancer and was going through treatment. Each time they would seem like they were about to cry. They would say I really miss him, he was a great guy.

I would see Dan on Sundays and he would tell me he couldn't wait to get back to helping out on Mondays and Thursdays.

Today I had to tell them that Dan passed away this morning.

Now I think I'm gonna cry, I'm really gonna miss him, he was a great guy.

Today Dan isn't in pain anymore. Today Dan's cancer is gone. Today Dan is with Jesus.

Today things seem a little more in focus. Liz, I'm sorry.

Today my pride seems less important. Liz, I'm sorry.

Dan, everyone who knew you will miss you.

No comments: