What a good day!

Yesterday, (Thursday, August 14, 2008), was a very good day.

A few weeks ago during, community assistance, a person (deliberately vague) said they were thinking about suicide. We called for a mental health worker and they said they would be here in three days. I at first thought what's the point. Well, she came and hung around hoping to see this person. It didn't happen. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, The health worker sat with Mike and talked about her coming every Thursday to be here in case someone needs to talk to her. She really liked what we are doing. Good day.

We picked up my Jeep, it had been at Don-A-Vee Jeep for 3 weeks. Now, no oil leak, no clicking sound and a brand new engine, no charge (under warranty!), Good day.

I had dinner with Liz, just her and I, at Mexicasa. This restaurant is a hole in the wall. It has no ambiance, the service is not great but the food is very very good. And it's cheap. $16 for both of us and we started with a large bowl of guacamole. We were able to sit and talk. Not about anything major just her and I enjoying each others company. Good day.

Last night Liz and I watched Nastia Liukin win the All around gold medal at the Olympics in gymnastics. What drama. Just so you know I hate the way gymnastics is scored. Everything is subjective. And there is always controversy. The announcers are always saying things like "That should have been higher" or "That was too high" or "What were the judges looking at there?" It's the same with diving. Look, we know who the best swimmer of a particular race is (Michael Phelps) because he is the first to touch the wall. It's not subjective. We know who wins a basketball game. The team(you know) that scored more points. But gymnastics scoring is a joke. You have three judges sitting right next to the apparatus and if some lady sitting higher up (OK, she's the head of all these officials) doesn't like what the judges gave she calls them on the phone and tells them to change it. Now that you know how I feel about gymnastics back to the competition. I watched the whole thing. I couldn't turn away. When Nastia performed her floor routine I literally cheered. As they raised the American flag (which NBC didn't show) and we saw Nastia Liukin (gold) and Shawn Johnson (silver) I felt a great sense of pride. Not only in them but in my country. USA!

It was a good day indeed.

Robert

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a beautiful day!

Daun Slauson said...

you went to Mexicasa? Not fair.... but I had a meat pie today, so I guess that balances is out a bit. I'm still jealous. Happy that you got to go to my favourite place to eat...and that the rest of the day was good too.

Kelly said...

Reading about you and Liz going out to dinner made me think about all the times we would go go Paul's Place with you after church when we first started to get to know you. I miss those times! Suggestion: next time go to Spaghetti Factory!!
Kelly P.