Coffe, Coffee, Coffee!!!

For 50 years I resisted. I didn't like coffee. I didn't need coffee. I didn't want coffee. The flavor was nasty and bitter. It was like drinking a cup of hot steaming tar.
I didn't get the whole coffee thing.
Then a few years ago I started meeting with a couple of friends, Rob Bishop and Raymond Macias, each week. We would meet at Starbucks. At first I would get sparkling water, then it went to a frappuccino, and from there to a Mocha. I figured I'd give this coffee thing a shot. I think I even got to like it.
Then it happened, I went to Andaluz. A Lebanese restaurant right in the middle of Little Arabia in Anaheim. A guy, Samir, ordered Arabic coffee. He put like 2 teaspoons of sugar in this little demitasse cup. I mean this thing looked like mud, no, motor oil, used motor oil. only thinner. It even had the coffee grounds in it. He asked me if I wanted to try it. I thought, "why not?" (By the way, that phrase can get you in a heap of trouble.)
It was awful. Then after a few minutes I started to think about it. I actually said "I think I like that."

Ibrik
Needless to say I bought an Ibrik. And started making Arabic Coffee. I love it.
I even started drinking regular coffee. I love it too. I drink it black with sweetener, no milk or cream. I drink it all day. I love it. I crave it. I want a cup all day long. My day isn't complete until I get a few cups of coffee in me. MMM...COFFEE!!!!!
Wait, did I say coffee? 'Cause what I meant to say was being on the Mission field.
You see, for 50 years I resisted. Didn't like, need or want the mission field. Then I went on a short-term trip to Mexico, then Australia. Then both of those trips again. To the point that I went to Australia every year.
Then it happened, I went to Arizona. I met some of the Apache people from San Carlos. And I was hooked. Now all I desire, all I need, is to go and do life with the Apache people, with Tory and Kara Satter and 3:18 Ministries.
So as soon as God works out the details, finances and a place to live, Liz and I will be moving to Globe Arizona to work with 3:18 Ministries.
If you are ever in Arizona, stop by and have a cup of coffee with me. I would love to sit down and talk over good times and future times with you.

Robert

No comments: