Pain and Suffering...



How does a loving gracious God allow the suffering that goes on in our world? A question I am asked a lot as a Christian, a question I have struggled with myself sometimes. I watched several shows on TV this past week on the 9/11 tragedy. There was one show that had video tape from many different people that day. I saw the second plane hit the tower replayed again and again. It was like seeing it live, as I did the morning of 9/11/01. I got goose bumps and I cried again, and I asked why?
In the course of my studies one of the classes I am taking is “Reasons to believe in a God who allows suffering.” In one of the first lessons we hear from a man who lost his 18 month old son. He and his wife woke up one morning and he was dead. His 4 year old daughter found him.
There is a video that takes you through Israel, a nation known for its land, its people and its suffering. They called it “a nation of irony, God’s chosen people, conquerors of the Promised land, victims of the holocaust.”
If we didn’t have free will, would there be pain and suffering? Can you imagine a life without choice? Choice is what is at the core of being human. We make lots of choices every day; it is part of who we are and how God created us. So with choices come responsibilities and consequences. R. Douglas Geivett said, “You cannot do good without freedom. On the other hand, you can do evil if you are free.”
Yet suffering also occurs at the hand of others. All of us have experienced that. But it tests us and shows who we really are inside. An example used is gold or silver, they are refined by fire. Coal needs time and pressure to become a diamond, and our character is revealed through enduring pressures and time.
How much more do I love God, because I choose to love Him? How much does He love us that He gave us the choice to love Him? He didn't force it on us, He let us choose. He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for my sins, so I can spend eternity with Him. My love for Him is immeasurable.
The man who lost his son, now values relationships much more. What was important to him before, work, degrees, and professional advancement is now on the back burner. He is closer to his wife, daughter and most importantly God.
In the story of Joseph, he was able to say to those who hurt him “You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good” Genesis 50:20.
I can get a little obsessive about overdosing on the world’s tragedies. Robert has to usually step in and stop me from watching TV or researching tragic events because I internalize it all and suffer right along with those in pain. Will we ever be able to say, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good? Will I ever be able to say it? I certainly hope so! Will I ever fully understand why, probably not.