Helping?




One of my duties here at the Church is to decide if we are going to help someone with food or rental assistance. It's a difficult decision. But that is what I get to do.
Someone asked me; "How do you know if you are just enabling people or if you are helping?" I thought, to myself, (Of course how could I think to anyone else?  Unless I was psychic. I'm not. At least I don't think I am.) Hmm...great question.

I’ve heard it said that you should ask yourself this question. Is your help helping? If not then it’s enabling.
But I think we should ask a different question first. “Why am I helping?”

You see, I believe this is a more important question. If I am trying to solve the homeless problem then I am in big trouble. If I am trying to make sure everyone eats, once again I am in trouble.
You see I can’t solve these problems. I can’t even make a dent. But if the answer is "I want to use my actions to spread the Kingdom" then that can be accomplished.

“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.” Matthew 24:14. We are told that we can accomplish this task.

Then when you "help" someone you know that the help you are giving will make a difference. Someone may be trying to take advantage, they may even lie to you. It doesn't matter. The goal is not to get that woman off the street it's to introduce her to Christ's love and salvation.


So the next time you are wondering if you are making a difference. Ask yourself this question. Why am I helping?
Robert

No comments: