For those of you who do not know, Washington Mutual Bank (WAMU) “failed” today and was taken over by the federal Government, who in turn sold it to JP Chase. This is quite significant to me on many levels. First, for those who don’t know I started my career with Great Western Bank in 1982. I worked up from New Accounts to a supervisor to an assistant manager. I finally made Branch Manager 3 weeks before we were sold to WAMU. I had been with them for close to 8 years at that point, so the severance package I was to receive was pretty nice. There was a thriving American Savings across the street, and WAMU had just bought them so I was certain my branch would close and I would be gone. I interviewed and was offered two branches in Downey that would consolidate into one. That began my roller coaster ride with WAMU. I managed and merged those 2 branches, then we took on Home Savings of America and I merged 3 branches together. I eventually applied for and got my home branch where this all started in Buena Park, considered one of the largest and busiest in California. My career was in full gear!
Then I decided to go on a mission trip to Mexico. It was a turning point not only in my career but my life. My desire to succeed in my career was being taken over by my desire to serve God more and more. I eventually asked to be transferred to a smaller branch, slower and not as stressful, and definitely not the same pay. It still was not enough; managing a bank was no longer who I was. Being yelled at daily by angry people, staying late to make calls to people who did not want to hear from you, the enormous pressure to meet numbers, the daily staff issues and security issues, having to fire people, etc. God was calling me somewhere else. It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made, to leave my comfort zone, my large regular salary, what I had come to be successful at, to step into the unknown and work for a customer in a small office and sell and process loans.
Watching WAMU fail is like watching an old friend fall apart. I spent 16 years of my life investing my heart and time from my family there because I believed that I was helping people and I believed in them. I have so many friends there and now they are dealing with the uncertainty of their futures. The memories I now have are of times of laughter and friends who helped me through some very rough times. This was (and in some cases still is) my family for a very long time. I feel like a small part of me today is gone. As Robert told me, I was there when they were a small company. I watched and participated in them growing into the giant they were. The WAMU I knew and loved is no longer there, and has not been there for awhile now. What was taken over today was just assets.
While I should be upset about the substantial stock I still had in my retirement in WAMU that is now gone, my thoughts and prayers are with the people there. Please pray for my friends to find their way through this mess and see the Light of Christ through it all.
Romans 8:28 “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”

No comments: